Do you find you’re seeing more browser push notifications? Some of these are quite useful, but others are a result of me clicking to allow something in my haste. This week, I hit the tipping point. Each time the little box would push out from the right side of Chrome, I’d want to smack it. While that might make me feel good, the better solution was to change my browser settings.
As a point of clarification, these push notifications are not the same thing as what you might see in the Windows Action Center. Instead, these are items pushed out from various websites and usually alert you of new content. Typically they appear in the bottom right of your browser as the example below illustrates.
Prior to getting these notices, you probably saw a notice like the one below. You may not remember allowing these alerts, but at some point, you were given a choice. It’s easy to just click Allow without thinking of the outcome. After all, if you’ve never seen one of these messages, you really don’t know what to expect.
2 Ways to Turn Off Chrome Push Notifications,
The easiest way is to disable the notification when you receive it. Simply right-click the notification and you’ll get a prompt that reads Disable notifications from “domain name”.
The second way is to go into your Chrome browser settings. This method allows you to change notifications en-masse or individually.
- In your browser address bar type
- Scroll halfway down until you see the Notificationsarea.
- Click the arrow_right icon on the far right.
- The Notifications panel appears.
- If you don’t want any notifications, disable the Sites can ask to send notifications toggle.
Changing Existing Notifications
There are times when you may wish to change an existing setting. Google refers to this as managing exceptions. For non-Google sites, you can change a site’s permissions.
- Follow the steps above.
- Scroll to the Allow or Block section.
- Find the site to change and click the arrow_right icon on the far right .
- This will open the Permissions for that site.
- Scroll to the Notifications line and click Click the arrow_drop_down icon.
- Make your new selection.